Tuesday, December 09, 2014

When Animals Attack.. by David Johnson


While hunting in Matetsi Unit 2 in Zimbabwe this past summer of 2009, I was constantly amazed at the calmness of the native guides and local people who have been hired as our camp staff. Myself, being raised in the city and a fan of outdoor adventure movies, all I could think about was the movie the “Ghost and the Darkness.” I guess growing up in this part of the world people have become accustom to truly wild animals.


Rolling along, approaching camp, everyone smiles and waves to us as if there wasn’t a thing to be concerned about. I had to keep telling myself this is WILD Africa anything can happen. Lions, Leopards, Elephants and more call this place home and defend it aggressively if anyone strays too far into their domain. Carefree and unconcerned, everyone proceeds with the days chores. What we all didn’t know is, things were about to change.

Hunting camps are typically the last place you’ll find wild game. Animals have gained a healthy respect for humans in this part of the world and for good reason. The natives have been hunting animals as food for centuries here. Therefore, wild animals usually stay far away or they end up in the pot for dinner. Yet every so often you hear stories about animals who loses their fear of people and gain the upper hand. This often doesn’t bode well for the unsuspecting human in the story.

With the sun at full midday power, our ride comes to a squeak and dusty stop. I make my way up the path from the open safari vehicle towards my hut. The smell of lunch cooking on the open fire puts new energy in my step. Unloading my backpack, rifle, belt and extra field clothing feels good. A splash of soap and water to cut the dust that covers me from head to toe, also helps to revive my spirits. Lunchtime, in safari camp is a time to relax and rest up a bit. Also it’s time to enjoy a bit of something shot fresh the day before. Impala or Sable steaks are excellent when prepared by our native cook. Complimented, with some locally grown vegetables and rice makes for a great meal. For my squeamish readers, don’t knock it till you’ve tried it.

After our noon meal, we all look forward to enjoying a few hours of nap time before setting out again to see what the hunting gods have in store for us. Now I don’t know about you, but this is the hardest time for me to nap. The anticipation of the afternoon hunt is too much for this guy to take. The playback that runs through my mind include the sights, sounds and encounters of the morning. This is far too much information for my brain to process while trying to sleep. So relaxing the body is the goal, relaxing the mind, well that’s not going to happen for quite a while.

As Darren and I are just about to head to our huts, a rather concerned camp staffer comes running up to Darren. From the pace of his step and the concern in his voice, it’s immediately apparent that something is wrong. Darren turned to me and asked if I wanted to provide a service to the camp and add to my trophy list. “What is it”, I asked, “what’s going on”? Darren explains that for the past two years the camp staff have been terrorized by an aggressive group of Baboons. Their leader, an extremely large male, is known to sneak into camp and force his way into the food hunt through the grass roof. Once inside he would help himself to fresh fruit and vegetables used to feed the hunters and staff.

Unknowingly the camp staff would enter the hut only to be set upon by this fang toothed male. There was talk that one day this Baboon may kill one of the staff, which would only embolden his already aggressive behavior.

Upon hearing this I agreed to try and headed off to recover my rifle and binoculars. Darren had to clear our plan with the Government Game Scout, since shooting game in camp is frowned upon by the Zimbabwe Government. Since he travels with us and stays in our camp, his quick approval cleared our path and set our plan in motion.

This large male had as before entered the food hunt through the roof and had confronted the staff. With food in hand, the Baboon retreated to the brush where his troop anticipated his return. Focusing my binoculars, I could see about 6 Baboons milling about watching us to see what we were going to do. Darrin told me that other hunters have lobbed shots at them before, but none have been able to connect. I looked at Darren and ask, “Which Baboon is he?” Darren replied without taking his eyes off the group, “He’s easy to pick out, since he’s twice the size of the others”. “There he is”, Darren says, “he’s sitting behind that bush about 150 yards out, eating one of our tomatoes, do you see him?” “I don’t”, I replied, just too much brush in my way”.

Moving behind Darren and to his right, my new position gives me a better angle, “Now I can see him, “He is Big”, I say to Darren. “Biggest Baboon I’ve seen in the 11 years I’ve been guiding in Matetsi Unit 2, do you think you can hit him from here?” Darren says. Thinking back to the years of practice at the Shooting Range in Bristol Wisconsin , creating tiny group on paper from the bench at 200 yards, to develop not only the cartridge load I’m using, but to fine tune my shooting skills. I turn to Darren and smile, “I can shoot him through the tomato if you want me to!” “Take him when you get the chance, nothing fancy, just a good solid center shot should do nicely” he replied. Quickly finding a stable shooting position, I let the crosshairs settle on the tomato. Gripped firmly in the left hand of the Baboon, this beast looks up and in our general direction. Watching us, he shows literally no concern at all. Relaxed he squats behind his bush, taking bite after bite out of the tomato.

Checking my breathing, wind and natural point of aim, everything is ready. Holding on the Baboons chest just right of center due to the angle, I gently squeeze the trigger. I need to ensure there is no movement of the rifle at this critical time or the shot will go wide and miss this important target. The trigger breaks cleanly followed by the recoil’s gentle push against my shoulder. The muzzle blast lifts a cloud of dust and obscures my vision, “A fine shot, that’s it for him”, Darren says with a smile. I can hear the sound of Baboons scattering in the distance, and none too happy at that. “With their leader gone, they won’t be coming back here again”, says Darren.

Unaware, I realized that the camp staff were watching from behind us. As if I just scored a touchdown my cheering section begin to celebrate. To them, I may have done just that. No more worries, no more concerns for now. This is one beast, that they won’t need to fear anymore.

Approaching the Baboon, I kept a round loaded and the rifle at the ready. You cannot be too careful when approaching downed game. All too often, they can recover from a less than lethal shot only to attack from close range. This time, the shot was good and upon inspection, we realize how big this Baboon really was. With photo’s and congratulations complete, off to the skinning shed he goes. “In order to show their appreciation for what you’ve done here, the skinners are going to prepare him for a full body mount, it will take them the better part of what’s left of today to do this, but you did good, for everyone involved.” Said Darren. I replied to Darren, “I was just glad to be able to help those who have contributed so much to my latest African Wilderness Safari.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home